There’s a real connection between craftsmanship and Web design. That’s the theme running through Handcrafted CSS: More Bulletproof Web Design, by bestselling author Dan Cederholm, with a chapter contributed by renowned Web designer and developer Ethan Marcotte. This book explores CSS3 that works in today’s browsers, and you’ll be convinced that now’s the time to start experimenting with it.
Whether you’re a Web designer, project manager, or a graphic designer wanting to learn more about the fluidity that’s required when designing for the Web, you’ll discover the tools to create the most flexible, reliable, and bulletproof Web designs. And you’ll finally be able to persuade your clients to adopt innovative and effective techniques that make everyone’s life easier while improving the end user’s experience. This book’s seven chapters deconstruct various aspects of a case-study Web site for the Tugboat Coffee Company, focusing on aspects that make it bulletproof and demonstrate progressive enrichment techniques over more traditional labor-intensive methods.
Subjects covered in this book include:
- building for unanticipated future use
- progressively enriching designs using CSS3 properties
- using RGBA color for transparency with an alpha channel
- modular float management
- crafting flexible frameworks
- fluid layouts using grid-based design principles
- craftsmanship details on typography, jQuery, and shifting backgrounds
- Handcrafted CSS: More Bulletproof Web Design
- Reviewed by Nate Klaiber on December 29th, 2009 @ 07:40AM
If you want to see—in action—how you can begin to use new techniques while still maintaining an experience for all browsers, then this is a great book for you.
Other Books by New Riders Press
- Fluid Web Typography
- The type that designers use can say as much to their audience as the actual words on the page. But until now, Web designers have had an extremely limited palette of typefaces from which to choose&738212;essentially, Arial (yawn), Times (yawn), and Georgia (yawww...
- Content Strategy for the Web
- If your website content is out of date, off-brand, and out of control, you're missing a huge opportunity to engage, convert, and retain customers online. Redesigning your home page won't help. Investing in a new content management system won't fix it, either. So...
- Building Findable Websites: Web Standards SEO and Beyond
- This is not another SEO book written for marketing professionals. Between these covers you'll find practical advice and examples for people who build websites aiming to reach their target audience. Each chapter will introduce you to best practices and fresh per...
- Bulletproof Web Design, Second Edition
- No matter how visually appealing or content-packed a Web site may be, if it's not adaptable to a variety of situations and reaching the widest possible audience, it isn't really succeeding. In Bulletproof Web Desing, author and Web designer extraordinaire, Dan C...