Search engine optimization (SEO) is not only the job of the marketing department. It must be considered from a web site's inception and throughout its lifetime by you, the web site developer. Making changes to the architecture of a web site and modifying presentation techniques can dramatically increase search engine rankings and traffic levels.
Written for the PHP developer or tech-savvy marketer, this unique reference provides techniques for creating and maintaining web sites optimized for search engines. You'll discover how to facilitate the indexing of your site, as well as how to leverage specific technologies and services for site promotion. You will understand the role of web site architecture in search engine optimization and explore various topics therein. Knowing this will help you to develop a site that achieves great search engine rankings. Finally, you'll apply this knowledge by creating a sample e-commerce catalog and an optimized WordPress blog.
What you will learn from this book
- Understand the criteria that influence search engine rankings
- Create keyword-rich URLs using PHP, Apache, and mod_rewrite
- Use HTTP Headers to properly indicate the status of web documents
- Create optimized content and cope with duplicate content effectively
- Avoid being the victim of black hat SEO techniques
- Understand and implement geo-targeting and cloaking
- Use site maps effectively—for users as well as search engines
- Create a search engine–friendly WordPress blog
- Build a search engine–friendly e-commerce catalog
- Professional Search Engine Optimization with PHP
- Reviewed by Nate Klaiber on September 17th, 2007 @ 08:31PM
Jaimie and Cristian have done an excellent job of bridging the gap of search engine optimization and PHP.
Other Books by Wrox
- Professional PHP5
- The PHP server-side application development language is ideal for rapidly producing sophisticated, database-enabled web sites, web applications, intranets, and extranets. This hands-on guide demonstrates the power and flexibility of PHP while delivering useful p...