Programming PHP, 2nd Edition, is the authoritative guide to PHP 5 and is filled with the unique knowledge of the creator of PHP (Rasmus Lerdorf) and other PHP experts. When it comes to creating websites, the PHP scripting language is truly a red-hot property. In fact, PHP is currently used on more than 19 million websites, surpassing Microsoft's ASP .NET technology in popularity. Programmers love its flexibility and speed; designers love its accessibility and convenience.
As the industry standard book on PHP, all of the essentials are covered in a clear and concise manner. Language syntax and programming techniques are coupled with numerous examples that illustrate both correct usage and common idioms. With style tips and practical programming advice, this book will help you become not just a PHP programmer, but a good PHP programmer. Programming PHP, Second Edition covers everything you need to know to create effective web applications with PHP. Contents include:
- Detailed information on the basics of the PHP language, including data types, variables, operators, and flow control statements
- Chapters outlining the basics of functions, strings, arrays, and objects
- Coverage of common PHP web application techniques, such as form processing and validation, session tracking, and cookies
- Material on interacting with relational databases, such as MySQL and Oracle, using the database-independent PEAR DB library and the new PDO Library
- Chapters that show you how to generate dynamic images, create PDF files, and parse XML files with PHP
- Advanced topics, such as creating secure scripts, error handling, performance tuning, and writing your own C language extensions to PHP
- A handy quick reference to all the core functions in PHP and all the standard extensions that ship with PHP
Other Books by O'Reilly Media
- Website Optimization: Speed, Search Engine and Conversion Rate Secrets
- Remember when an optimized website was one that merely didn't take all day to appear? Times have changed. Today, website optimization can spell the difference between enterprise success and failure, and it takes a lot more know-how to achieve success. This book...
- Subject to Change: creating great products and services for an uncertain world
- To achieve success in today's ever-changing and unpredictable markets, competitive businesses need to rethink and reframe their strategies across the board. Instead of approaching new product development from the inside out, companies have to begin by looking at...
- Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites
- The post-Ajaxian Web 2.0 world of wikis, folksonomies, and mashups makes well-planned information architecture even more essential. How do you present large volumes of information to people who need to find what they're looking for quickly? This classic primer s...