Ruby on Rails is fast displacing PHP, ASP, and J2EE as the development framework of choice for discriminating programmers, thanks to its elegant design and emphasis on practical results. RailsSpace teaches you to build large-scale projects with Rails by developing a real-world application: a social networking website like MySpace, Facebook, or Friendster.
Inside, the authors walk you step by step from the creation of the site's virtually static front page, through user registration and authentication, and into a highly dynamic site, complete with user profiles, image upload, email, blogs, full-text and geographical search, and a friendship request system. In the process, you learn how Rails helps you control code complexity with the model-view-controller (MVC) architecture, abstraction layers, automated testing, and code refactoring, allowing you to scale up to a large project even with a small number of developers.
This essential introduction to Rails provides
- A tutorial approach that allows you to experience Rails as it is actually used
- A solid foundation for creating any login-based website in Rails
- Coverage of newer and more advanced Rails features, such as form generators, REST, and Ajax (including RJS)
- A thorough and integrated introduction to automated testing
- The book's companion website provides the application source code, a blog with follow-up articles, narrated screencasts, and a working version of the RailSpace social network.
- RailsSpace: Building a Social Networking Website with Ruby on Rails
- Reviewed by Nate Klaiber on September 9th, 2007 @ 12:57PM
If you are just beginning Rails this is an excellent full-blown tutorial.
Other Books by Addison-Wesley Professional
- Refactoring in Ruby
- The First Hands–On, Practical, All–Ruby Refactoring Workbook! Refactoring—the art of improving the design of existing code—has taken the world by storm. So has Ruby. Now, for the first time, there’s a refactoring workbook design...
- Programming In Objective-C 2.0 (Second Edition)
- Objective-C has become the standard programming language for application development on the Mac OS X and iPhone platforms. A powerful yet simple object-oriented programming language that's based on the C programming language, Objective-C is widely available not ...
- RailsSpace Ruby on Rails Tutorial (Video LiveLessons)
- 5+ Hours of Video Instruction Ruby on Rails has emerged as today’s most powerful, useful Web development framework. RailsSpace Ruby on Rails Tutorial makes real-world Rails development easier than ever before. In fifteen targeted video sessions, Rails expert A...
- Design Patterns in Ruby
- Most design pattern books are based on C++ and Java. But Ruby is different—and the language's unique qualities make design patterns easier to implement and use. In this book, Russ Olsen demonstrates how to combine Ruby's power and elegance with patterns, and wri...