Ruby on Rails strips complexity from the development process, enabling professional developers to focus on what matters most: delivering business value. Now, for the first time, there’s a comprehensive, authoritative guide to building production-quality software with Rails. Pioneering Rails developer Obie Fernandez and a team of experts illuminate the entire Rails API, along with the Ruby idioms, design approaches, libraries, and plug-ins that make Rails so valuable. Drawing on their unsurpassed experience, they address the real challenges development teams face, showing how to use Rails’ tools and best practices to maximize productivity and build polished applications users will enjoy.
Using detailed code examples, Obie systematically covers Rails’ key capabilities and subsystems. He presents advanced programming techniques, introduces open source libraries that facilitate easy Rails adoption, and offers important insights into testing and production deployment. Dive deep into the Rails codebase together, discovering why Rails behaves as it does– and how to make it behave the way you want it to.
This book will help you:
- Increase your productivity as a web developer
- Realize the overall joy of programming with Ruby on Rails
- Learn what’s new in Rails 2.0
- Drive design and protect long-term maintainability with TestUnit and RSpec
- Understand and manage complex program flow in Rails controllers
- Leverage Rails’ support for designing REST-compliant APIs
- Master sophisticated Rails routing concepts and techniques
- Examine and troubleshoot Rails routing
- Make the most of ActiveRecord object-relational mapping
- Utilize Ajax within your Rails applications
- Incorporate logins and authentication into your application
- Extend Rails with the best third-party plug-ins and write your own
- Integrate email services into your applications with ActionMailer
- Choose the right Rails production configurations
- Streamline deployment with Capistrano
- The Rails Way
- Reviewed by Nate Klaiber on December 11th, 2007 @ 09:27AM
No matter what your skill level with Ruby on Rails, this book is a must have guide, reference, and resource. This is the definitive guide to Ruby on Rails.
Other Books by Addison-Wesley Professional
- Refactoring in Ruby
- The First Hands–On, Practical, All–Ruby Refactoring Workbook! Refactoring—the art of improving the design of existing code—has taken the world by storm. So has Ruby. Now, for the first time, there’s a refactoring workbook design...
- Programming In Objective-C 2.0 (Second Edition)
- Objective-C has become the standard programming language for application development on the Mac OS X and iPhone platforms. A powerful yet simple object-oriented programming language that's based on the C programming language, Objective-C is widely available not ...
- RailsSpace Ruby on Rails Tutorial (Video LiveLessons)
- 5+ Hours of Video Instruction Ruby on Rails has emerged as today’s most powerful, useful Web development framework. RailsSpace Ruby on Rails Tutorial makes real-world Rails development easier than ever before. In fifteen targeted video sessions, Rails expert A...
- Design Patterns in Ruby
- Most design pattern books are based on C++ and Java. But Ruby is different—and the language's unique qualities make design patterns easier to implement and use. In this book, Russ Olsen demonstrates how to combine Ruby's power and elegance with patterns, and wri...