by Richard Rutter (Author), Cynthia D. Waddell (Author), Mark Urban (Author), Bob Regan (Author), Bruce Lawson (Author), Patrick H. Lauke (Author), Andrew Kirkpatrick (Author), Shawn Lawton Henry (Author), Christian Heilmann (Author), Michael R. Burks (Author), Jim Thatcher (Author), Gez Lemon (Technical Reviewer), and Molly E. Holzschlag (Foreword)
The power of the Web lies in the fact that anyone and everyone can access it, and this should also extend to users with disabilities. Accessibility is about making websites accessible to those with aural, visual, or physical disabilities, or rather, constructing websites that dont exclude these people from accessing the content or services provided.
This book gives you all you need to know about web accessibility, whether you are a web designer or developer who wants your sites to be accessible, or a business manager who wants to learn what impact the web accessibility laws have on your websites.
After an overview of the accessibility law and guidelines, and a discussion about accessibility and its implementation in the enterprise, the book goes on to show how to implement accessible websites using a combination of concise references and easy-to-follow examples, covering:
- Understanding assistive technologies
- Testing against WCAG (including 2.0) and Section 508
- Retrofitting inaccessible sites where necessary
The book concludes with an in-depth analysis of accessibility law around the world. If youre concerned about the legal and moral implications of web accessibility, then this book is perfect for you. It is written by some of the world's experts on accessibility, leaving you in good hands.
- Web Accessibility: Web Standards and Regulatory Compliance
- Reviewed by Nate Klaiber on October 16th, 2006 @ 06:46PM
Other Books by Friends of Ed
- Web Design and Marketing Solutions for Business Websites
- The best business websites serve their readers with strong content, well-architected design, and a focus on usability, readability, and accessibility. This book covers the fundamental aspects of building a website that works for the company, not against it. It c...
- Textpattern Solutions: PHP-Based Content Management Made Easy
- Textpattern is a powerful, PHP-based content management system that allows you to build pretty much any kind of data-driven website quickly and easily. It is very popular among designers and developers alike, and has an active community of users. Sound good? Wel...
- Web Development Solutions: Ajax, APIs, Libraries, and Hosted Services Made Easy
- As a web user, you'll no doubt have noticed some of the breathtaking applications available in today's modern web, such as Google Maps and Flickrdesktop applications than the old style web sites you are used to. You've probably also wished that you could create ...
- Microformats: Empowering Your Markup for Web 2.0
- Microformats burst onto the scene a couple of years ago and are fast becoming an essential tool for all professional web designers and developers. Imagine being able to integrate all of your web-based contact details, tagged articles, and geographical informatio...