The best business websites serve their readers with strong content, well-architected design, and a focus on usability, readability, and accessibility. This book covers the fundamental aspects of building a website that works for the company, not against it. It covers the essentials of strong copywriting, and then dedicates several chapters to designing user-centric About, Products and Services, and Support sections.
Your visitors come to your site because they are interested in your business and are therefore potential customers. This book covers taking advantage of that traffic by expanding the companys story through a corporate blog and using testimonials, case studies, and other third-party validation to reinforce the marketing message. With this knowledge you will be able to create and maintain a highly professional, polished business site.
While a pleasing website is essential for any modern business, creating it is only a small piece of the online strategy. This book also discusses search engine optimization, using e-mail and RSS to communicate with customers and prospects, and advertising the corporate domain with paid search placement, online banners, text links, and more. The primary theme is using your corporate website to market the business effectively, from designing intelligent product pages to writing compelling e-mail newsletters. This book explores those ideas and offers compelling advice on how to take full advantage of the Web as a marketing medium.
In this book you'll learn how to:
- Implement best practices in corporate web design, with a focus on common sections such as About, Products and Services, Customer Support, and more
- Use e-mail and RSS marketing to stay in touch with customers and prospects
- Apply simple and effective search engine optimization techniques to push your website higher in search engine results
- Advertise the site through e-mail, paid search placement, banner ads, and more
- Write professional, accessible, and usable pages to make your site available to everyone
- Web Design and Marketing Solutions for Business Websites
- Reviewed by Nate Klaiber on December 5th, 2008 @ 09:36PM
While this book covers a broad array of topics, it covers them in a very concise and readable manner. Whether you are a site owner with little understanding of how the web works, or you are a seasoned web developer trying to find the next steps, this book will be able to point you in the right direction.
Other Books by Friends of Ed
- Textpattern Solutions: PHP-Based Content Management Made Easy
- Textpattern is a powerful, PHP-based content management system that allows you to build pretty much any kind of data-driven website quickly and easily. It is very popular among designers and developers alike, and has an active community of users. Sound good? Wel...
- Web Development Solutions: Ajax, APIs, Libraries, and Hosted Services Made Easy
- As a web user, you'll no doubt have noticed some of the breathtaking applications available in today's modern web, such as Google Maps and Flickrdesktop applications than the old style web sites you are used to. You've probably also wished that you could create ...
- Microformats: Empowering Your Markup for Web 2.0
- Microformats burst onto the scene a couple of years ago and are fast becoming an essential tool for all professional web designers and developers. Imagine being able to integrate all of your web-based contact details, tagged articles, and geographical informatio...
- Web Standards Creativity: Innovations in Web Design with XHTML, CSS, and DOM Scripting
- Be inspired by 10 web design lessons from 10 of the worlds best web designers Get creative with cutting-edge XHTML, CSS, and DOM scripting techniques Learn breathtaking design skills while remaining standards-compliant Here at friends of ED, we know th...