This book is your indispensable guide to cutting-edge CSS developmentall you need to work your way up to CSS professional. You'll learn how to:
- Plan, organize, and maintain your stylesheets more effectively
- Apply the secrets of liquid, elastic, and hybrid layouts
- Create flickr-style image maps, remote rollovers, and other advanced CSS features
- Lay out forms using pure CSS
- Recognize common browser bugs, and how to fix them
While CSS is a relatively simple technology to learn, it is a difficult one to master. When you first start developing sites using CSS, you will come across all kinds of infuriating browser bugs and inconsistencies. It sometimes feels like there are a million and one different techniques to master, spread across a bewildering array of websites. The range of possibilities seems endless and makes for a steep and daunting learning curve. By bringing all of the latest tips, tricks, and techniques together in one handy reference, this book demystifies the secrets of CSS and makes the journey to CSS mastery as simple and painless as possible. While most books concentrate on basic skills, this one is different, assuming that you already know the basics and why you should be using CSS in your work, and concentrating mainly on advanced techniques. It begins with a brief recap of CSS fundamentals such as the importance of meaningful markup, how to structure and maintain your code, and how the CSS layout model really works. With the basics out of the way, each subsequent chapter details a particular aspect of CSS-based design. Through a series of easy-to-follow tutorials, you will learn practical CSS techniques you can immediately start using in your daily work. Browser inconsistencies are the thorn in most CSS developers' sides, so we have dedicated two whole chapters to CSS hacks, filters, and bug fixing, as well as looking at image replacement; professional link, form, and list styling; pure CSS layouts; and much more. All of these techniques are then put into practice in two beautifully designed case studies, written by two of the world's best CSS designers, Simon Collison and Cameron Moll. Summary of Contents:
- Chapter 1: Setting the Foundations
- Chapter 2: Visual Formatting Model Recap
- Chapter 3: Background Images and Image Replacement
- Chapter 4: Styling Links
- Chapter 5: Styling Lists and Creating Nav Bars
- Chapter 6: Styling Forms and Data Tables
- Chapter 7: Layout
- Chapter 8: Hacks and Filters
- Chapter 9: Bugs and Bug Fixing
- Case Study 1: More Than Doodles
- Case Study 2: Tuscany Luxury Resorts
- CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions
- Reviewed by Nate Klaiber on August 23rd, 2006 @ 12:05PM
The book’s style is a very easy read, packed full of great code snippets and screenshots.
Other Books by Friends of Ed
- Web Design and Marketing Solutions for Business Websites
- The best business websites serve their readers with strong content, well-architected design, and a focus on usability, readability, and accessibility. This book covers the fundamental aspects of building a website that works for the company, not against it. It c...
- Textpattern Solutions: PHP-Based Content Management Made Easy
- Textpattern is a powerful, PHP-based content management system that allows you to build pretty much any kind of data-driven website quickly and easily. It is very popular among designers and developers alike, and has an active community of users. Sound good? Wel...
- Web Development Solutions: Ajax, APIs, Libraries, and Hosted Services Made Easy
- As a web user, you'll no doubt have noticed some of the breathtaking applications available in today's modern web, such as Google Maps and Flickrdesktop applications than the old style web sites you are used to. You've probably also wished that you could create ...
- Microformats: Empowering Your Markup for Web 2.0
- Microformats burst onto the scene a couple of years ago and are fast becoming an essential tool for all professional web designers and developers. Imagine being able to integrate all of your web-based contact details, tagged articles, and geographical informatio...